Wednesday, July 16, 2014

"Oceans" and the Grand Canyon

As a songwriter I am always fascinated with why certain songs resonate with listeners more than others.  One of the biggest Christian songs out right now is “Oceans” by Hillsong United.  Why is this song so popular?  Apart from the incredible musicality and dynamics in the song, the lyrics are a big part of why I believe this song moves people.  In particular the bridge of the song is what always gets me:

            Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
            Let me walk upon the waters
            Wherever You would call me
            Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
            And my faith will be made stronger
            In the presence of my Savior

This song is about going all out for Christ.  In a society that says “buy more stuff and make your life more comfortable,” this song says take me farther and challenge me more than I’ve ever imagined.  It’s the opposite of what we are used to hearing and desiring in our culture.

I believe that this is why the song resonates so deep down in our souls.  The biggest problem Christians have in America is that we are too comfortable.  We easily become apathetic and fall into a daily routine of living, but we are not really living.  We pray for safety, comfort, and blessing, when what we really need is perspective, challenge, and adventure.  We’ve become content to be content.

What if instead of praying for blessings and comfort, we prayed the bridge of “Oceans” everyday?  What would happen?  How could God use us if we gave ourselves wholly and completely to Him?
      
This week, I would challenge you to pray the lyrics to the song “Oceans.”  Make time for a daily prayer like, “Lord, take me deeper in my trust of You.  Let me not hold back any part of my life for myself, but give You everything.  Increase my faith today in a very real way, and let me trust You without borders.”  This is the only way that we can truly find out what God has planned for us.  Until we open up our view of who God is, we limit the ways He can use us to a much smaller reality.  It’s like standing one foot away from the Grand Canyon wall and looking straight ahead, instead of standing above the giant precipice and looking all around.  We are missing out on seeing the whole story… and we don’t want to miss out on that amazing view.

No comments:

Post a Comment